VA Benefits and Services

Veteran Reading

HUC-JIR Welcomes Veterans

Veterans are welcome at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. We have enrolled veterans on each of our campuses and many of the College-Institute’s alumni have gone on to serve as military chaplains including Rear Admiral Harold Robinson and Cincinnati Associate Dean Rabbi Julie Schwartz, the first woman to serve as an active-duty Jewish chaplain in the U.S. Navy.

The staff of the Registrar’s Office can assist you in filing your enrollment certifications for each semester and assist you with any concerns with VA educational benefits.

Our VA School Certifying Official (SCO) is:

Monisha “Mo” Ringler, Associate Registrar ( and Lauren Kim, Registrar (

Applying for and Using Your Education Benefits at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion

If you are not familiar with how to apply for VA education benefits, please see this link and this link from the VA.


  1. Identify yourself as a veteran on your application for HUC-JIR admission.
  2. Once you’ve been admitted, contact the SCO on your campus.
  3. Provide the SCO with your discharge/eligibility information and they will work with you to determine educational benefits that you are eligible for.
  4. If you are transferring your benefits from another college or university, your SCO will assist you in doing that.
  5. Your SCO will certify your enrollment each semester with the VA so that tuition can be paid and living stipends can be allocated from the VA.
  6. Make sure to keep your SCO informed of any changes of address and any other status or academic program changes. Did you add or drop courses? Have you changed or added an academic program?
  7. Make sure to meet with your academic advisor or the Director of your academic program every semester to make sure that you are taking the correct courses for your academic program. This will help make sure that your VA enrollment certifications are correct.
  8. As you prepare to graduate or be ordained, inform your SCO so that your VA records can be updated.

Stay in Contact

Your School Certifying Officials at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion want to help you make the best use of your VA educational benefits while you are here. Please let us know of your enrollment and stay in contact with us while you are enrolled at the College-Institute.