Application Instructions - Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion
Skip to main content

Application Instructions

Main Content

STEP ONE: Preliminary Consultation with an Admissions Counselor

As part of the application process to the HUC-JIR Interfaith Doctor of Ministry for Pastoral Care program, we require that you to speak with a professional in the Office of Recruitment and Admissions. This informal, preliminary consultation is a way for us to get to know you better and make sure you are taking the right steps in preparation, and for you to ask your questions and for be sure that this is the right time for you to apply. Use this link to quickly schedule a time to speak with a member of our team as soon as someone is available.

STEP TWO: Open an Application HERE.

STEP THREE: The Application

Personal Statement

Please write a two-three page essay which helps us understand your personal theology and how it relates to your wish to pursue more training in clinical education and pastoral theology.

A Resume

Please include a resume that focuses on your academic and professional accomplishments, awards, honors, publications and any significant leadership positions in which you have served.

Three Letters of Recommendation

  • One Academic Reference: College professors or instructors with whom you have engaged in serious academic study should write the academic references. If you have been out of college more than five years you may obtain academic references from adult or informal education instructors.
  • One Professional Reference: from a supervisor of your work, paid or volunteer.
  • One Personal Reference: Please use the second Professional reference field for this person’s information.


Please request transcripts at least four weeks before before the application deadline to allow time for them to be sent to HUC-JIR. Transcripts need to be received in order to schedule an interview. Please provide us with one copy of an official transcript from all of the following: 

  • The college from which you graduated as well as any other colleges you attended. (This includes any school at which you took a college-level course for transfer credit.)
  • Any graduate schools where you have been enrolled, as well as schools where you have taken graduate-level classes.
  • Any “Year Abroad” programs or other foreign study. (If grades from international programs are recorded on your college transcript you do not need to submit a separate transcript.)

Have your schools mail the transcripts directly to:

(If electronic:
Office of Recruitment and Admissions
Hebrew Union College – Jewish Institute of Religion
3101 Clifton Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45220
For international applicants: year-by-year records from colleges and universities attended are required. The record must indicate the number of hours per week devoted to each course, grades received for each course, and degrees awarded, with dates the degrees were conferred. This information must be provided in English. If this information is not available in English, it is the applicant’s responsibility to have it professionally translated and certified before it is sent to HUC-JIR. If grades are not determined on a 4.0 scale system please include guidelines in English from the school that explain the grading system.