How to Get Materials
1) Visit Us: Come browse our collection or make an appointment to consult with our staff. The Center is staffed Monday through Thursday 9 am to 5 pm and Friday from 9 am to 3 pm.
2) Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Call us at (213) 765-2192.
3) Browse our online resources within the pages of this website.
4) Search our collection using the HUC-JIR library catalog system, using the instructions below.
Please note: We do not mail books, music, videos, or software. They may be borrowed by any HUC-JIR Library cardholder. We do mail copies of student-written curricular materials for a fee of $5.00 each.
Instructions for Searching the Library Catalog
Most of the resources at the Tartak Learning Center are catalogued through the HUC-JIR library system, VTLS. This system allows you to access our inventory online by author, subject, or title.
Click here for a quick link to the HUC-JIR library system
- The default search screen that appears has two search options called "BROWSE SEARCH" and "KEYWORD SEARCH."
- If you choose to use the KEYWORD SEARCH, you can set a filter to limit your search to the "LA TARTAK" location. Click on SET
SEARCH FILTERS just below the search box. On the next screen, scroll down to the bottom of the available filters to select the "LA
TARTAK" location. Save the settings.
- If you use the simpler "BROWSE SEARCH," enter your search type by selecting "Author," "Title," or one of the other options
from the list in the first box.
- Enter the words to search for, such as the author's last name, or the title, in the second box.
- Press the button labeled and a list of matching terms appears, with a count of how many items meet the criteria.
- NOTE: If there is no exact match to your search term, you will not get an error message. Instead, items falling
near your term in the alphabet will be listed.
- Click on one of the terms in this initial list, and a detailed list of items appears. If the item is held at the Tartak
Learning Center, it will be noted with the phrase "Available at LA Tartak."