Mission Statement and Shared Values
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion is a religious and scholarly learning community dedicated to:
- The development of spiritual, intellectual and professional leadership for the Reform Movement and the modern Jewish
- The application of the open and pluralistic spirit of the Reform Movement to the study of the great issues of Jewish life and
- The advancement of the critical study of Jewish Culture and related disciplines from a liberal Jewish perspective in accordance
with the highest standards of modern academic scholarship.
- We are a Jewish religious community built on God, Torah, avodah, mitzvot, and tikkun ha-olam.
- We integrate Jewish tradition, academic knowledge and professional competence in all of our endeavors.
- We foster high standards of scholarship, teaching and learning in an environment of free inquiry, open-mindedness and religious
- We nurture the concern for equality and inclusiveness that has long been the hallmark of Reform Judaism.
- We instill in our students exceptional leadership skills and spiritual growth, enabling them to become catalysts of
transformation in the creation of vibrant Jewish communities.