The following is a list of books and articles that may be helpful when working with a conversion student
For a list of useful websites click here.
Basic Judaism Books
- Embracing Judaism, by Simcha Kling, revised by Carl M. Perkins (Rabbinical Assembly, 1999)
- The Book of Jewish Belief, by Louis Jacobs (Behrman House, 1984).
- The Book of Jewish Practice, by Louis Jacobs (Behrman House, 1987)
- To Life: A Celebration of Jewish Being and Thinking by Harold S. Kushner (Grand Central Publishing, 1994)
- Jewish Literacy: The Most Important Things to Know About the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History (revised) by Joseph Telushkin (William Morrow, 2008)
- Living Judaism: The Complete Guide to Jewish Belief, Tradition, and Practice by Wayne Dosick (Harper One, 1998)
- Why Be Jewish by David Wolpe (Holt Paperbacks, 1995)
- Welcome to the Family! Opening Doors to Jewish Experiences by Lois Shenker (White Cloud Press, 2001)
- Essential Judaism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs, Customs, and Rituals by George Robinson (Atria 2001)
- Basic Judaism by Milton Steinberg (Mariner Book, 1965)
- Living a Jewish Life, Updated and Revised Edition: Jewish Traditions, Customs, and Values for Today's Families by Anita Diamont (Harper, 2007)
Books Written by Converts
- Coming home: a woman's story of conversion to Judaism By Linda M. Shires
- Converting to Judaism: Choosing to Be Chosen : Personal Stories by Bernice K. Weiss, Sheryl Silverman
- Your People, My People: Finding Acceptance and Fulfillment as a Jew by Choice, by Lena Romanoff with Lisa Hostein (Jewish Publication Society, 1990)
- The New Jew: An Unexpected Conversion by Sally Srok Friedes (O Books, 2009)
- Embracing the Covenant: Converts to Judaism Talk About Why and How by Allan Berkowitz and Patti Moskowitz (editors) (Jewish Lights Publishing, 1996)
- Lovesong: Becoming A Jew by Julius Lester (Arcade Publishing, 1995)
- Choosing My Religion: A Memoir of a Family Beyond Belief by Stephen Dubner (Harper Perennial, 2006)
- The Choice: Converts to Judaism Share Their Stories by Arnine Cumsky Weiss and Carol Weiss Rubel (University of Scranton Press, 2010)
- Ordained to Be A Jew: A Catholic Priest's Conversion to Judaism by John David Scalamonti (Ktav Publishing, 1992)
- Jew and Improved: How Choosing to Be Chosen Made Me A Better Man by Benjamin Errett (Harper Collins, 2010)
- Finding a Home for the Soul: Interviews with Converts to Judaism by Catherine Hall Myrowitz (Aaronson, 1997)
Books about Conversion
- Choosing Judaism, by Lydia Kukoff (UAHC Press, 1981).
- Becoming a Jew, by Maurice Lamm (Jonathan David, 1991).
- Conversion to Judaism: A Guidebook by Lawrence J. Epstein (Jason Aronson, 1994)
- Choosing a Jewish Life: A Handbook for People Converting to Judaism and for Their Family and Friends by Anita Diamont (Schocken, 1998)
- Choosing to Be Jewish: The Orthodox Road to Conversion by Marc D. Angel (Ktav Publishing House, 2005)
- Questions and Answers on Conversion to Judaism by Lawrence J. Epstein (Jason Aronson, 1998)
- Readings on Conversion to Judaism by Lawrence J. Epstein (Jason Aronson, 1994)
- Transforming Identity: The Ritual Transition from Gentile to Jew – Structure and Meaning (The Kogod Library of Judaic Studies) by Avi Sagi and Zvi Zohar (Continuim 2008).
- Not by Birth Alone: Conversion to Judaism edited by Walter Jacob, Esther Seidel, and Walter Homolka (Cassell, 1997)
- Suddenly Jewish: Jews Raised as Gentiles Discover Their Jewish Roots (Brandeis Series in American Jewish History, Culture, and Life) by Barbara Kessel (Brandeis 2000)
- The Theory and Practice of Welcoming Converts to Judaism, Lawrence, J. Epstein, Edwin Mellen Press (June 1992)
- Pledges of Jewish Allegiance: Conversion, Law, and Policy-Making in 19th and 20th Century Orthodox Responsa by David Ellenson and Daniel Gordis