Become a Part of
THE HUC-JIR COMMUNITY SOUP KITCHEN IN NEW YORKEvery Monday evening, in every season, the student-run HUC-JIR Soup Kitchen welcomes over 200 homeless and hungry guests for a nutritious meal. In autumn, winter and spring we serve a hot meal - main course, side dish, bread, fruit, peanut butter, jelly, cookies, milk, juice and coffee - and after the second semester we serve take-out sandwiches, fruit, and something to drink. Volunteers from around the New York area - secondary school pupils, college students, and adults - help us prepare and serve the meals. The Soup Kitchen offers our guests not only meals but also free legal counseling by NYU Law School students, free clothing, and toiletries, as well as a sewing service.
Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah used to say...
Without bread, there is no Torah. Without Torah, there is no bread.
Mishnah Avot, 3:17
We invite you to join our efforts. The following is our schedule:
Time Work Contact Person Tel. # 11:15 to 12:00 Salad Preparation Stacy Eskovitz 212 932-2181 All day Hot Meal preparation Daniel Pincus 212 799-0027 3:00 Setting up dining area Lisa Izes 212 665-0245 5:00 Volunteers Meeting with Staff 5:15 Meal service and legal
and sewing service
6:00 Dish washing Serena Fujita 212 253-0516
We understand that many of you cannot work with us on Monday afternoons. Therefore, here are some other ways for you to participate:
- If would like to help prepare a weekly D'var Torah to be sent home with all of our volunteers and any interested guests, talk to Jill Maderer (4th year rabbinic student, 212-689-9195).
- If would like to be a part of our first annual Beit Café Soup Kitchen Fund Raiser, talk to Rosalie Will Boxt (212-586-4128).
- If would like to help our guests attain clothing, toiletries, or other items, contact Serena Fujita (5th year rabbinic student, 212-253-0516).
- If you would like to schedule a religious school class for volunteering, contact Michelle Greenberg at 212-585-0962.
- If you would like to donate kitchen equipment or appliances or bulk quantities of staples, contact Daniel Pincus at 212-799-0027.
The head of the Soup Kitchen is Randy Fleischer. Contact him at 201-798-9767.
"I've worked in many Soup Kitchens in the area, andWe look forward to your participation in this community project.
none of them have the spirit that I find here."
- Amy, high school volunteer.
Rosalie Will Boxt Stacy Eskovitz Randy Fleisher Serena Fujita Michelle Greenberg Lev Herrnson Leora Kaye Michael Latz Jill Maderer Jacquie Mates-Muchin Daniel Pincus Rebecca Pomerantz Stacy Schlein Randy Sheinberg David Spey
Most recent update 20 Jan 2000
Copyright © 2000 Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion