The HUC-JIR/Jerusalem campus was flooded with more than 500 Israeli men and women for an all-night Tikkun Layl Shavuot, a joint program with Beit Shmuel (World Union for Progressive Judaism) and the Israel Religious Action Center (IRAC) of the Israel Movement for Progressive Judaism, with the support of the New Israel Fund.
The evening began in the Blaustein Hall at the Jerusalem campus with a panel including psychologist Professor Haim Omer, lawyer Dr. Orit Kamir, and journalist Meirav Michaeli, reflecting on "Families through the lens of the Book of Ruth." The panel was moderated by Dr. Ruchama Weiss, Director of the Blaustein Center for Pastoral Counseling.
The successful opening was followed by workshops and text study led by members of the HUC-JIR administration, including Dr. Weiss; Rabbi Yoshi Zweiback, Director, Year-in-Israel Program; and Rabbi Naamah Kelman, Dean, HUC-JIR/Jerusalem.
Workshop topics included:
- Issues of Fertility Treatment: Medical Advancements and Ethical Dilemmas - Professor Neri Lauffer, Hadassah Hospital
- Art, Music, and Family - Shannan Street, lead singer of Dag Nachash hip hop group
- Homophobia - Jonathan Ger, The Open House
- Family Names and Games in Hebrew - Dr. Tzvia Walden
- Separate Bus Lines in Jerusalem - Hanan Cidor, IRAC Staff
Special thanks to Noa Sattat, Director of IRAC and first-year Israeli Rabbinic student, for helping to organize the evening and the Social Justice Organization Fair.