Letters, telegrams detail efforts to open Warm Springs
CINCINNATI, OH: The Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives (AJA) in Cincinnati, Ohio has received a correspondence series that took place over a period of years (1925-1939) between President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Dr. Albert Freiberg, a Cincinnati orthopedic surgeon. Roosevelt elicited the help of Dr. Freiberg during his quest to establish Warm Springs, Georgia as a place of treatment for victims stricken with polio. The collection was given to the AJA by the family of Dr. Richard Freiberg, grandson of Dr. Albert Freiberg.
|A letter and telegram from FDR to Dr. Albert Freiberg from the collections of the American Jewish Archives in Cincinnati, Ohio
(click to enlarge).
Dr. Albert Freiberg (1868-1940) obtained his M.D. in 1890 from the Medical College of Ohio, now the University of Cincinnati Medical School. He served as professor of orthopedic surgery at the University of Cincinnati from 1902-1939 and was an emeritus professor until his death.
His son, Dr. Joseph Freiberg, became an orthopedic surgeon, succeeding his father in directing the orthopedic services of the hospitals affiliated with the College of Medicine of Cincinnati. Albert Freiberg's grandson, Dr. Richard Freiberg, began a practice now known as the Freiberg Orthopaedic group. Now Richard Freiberg's son Andrew– Albert's great-grandson– is an orthopedic surgeon practicing in Massachusetts.
The series includes telegrams and letters that describe the efforts to open a sanctuary for those afflicted with the debilitating effects of poliomyelitis.
For more information, please contact Joyce Kamen at (513) 543-8109.
The Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives, founded in 1947 by its namesake on the Cincinnati, Ohio, campus of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, is committed to preserving a documentary heritage of the religious, organizational, economic, cultural, personal, social and family life of American Jewry. The Marcus Center contains over 15,000 linear feet of archives, manuscripts, nearprint materials, photographs, audio and videotapes, microfilm, and genealogical materials.