A Planning Committee comprised of leading HUC-JIR faculty, alumni of the School of Graduate Studies, and distinguished academicians from other institutions has been convened to review the Graduate School in Cincinnati and Graduate Studies at HUC-JIR. Chaired by Dr. Arnold Band, Professor Emeritus of Hebrew at UCLA and one of the deans of Jewish Studies in North America, this Committee's work is a key component of HUC-JIR's Strategic Planning Implementation.
"HUC-JIR's core mission is to produce effective scholars whose research, teaching, and mentorship will sustain shalshelet hakabbalah -- the chain of Jewish learning -- and to train professionals to serve the needs of the Jewish community and help engage and cultivate the upcoming generations of Reform Jews and klal yisrael," stated Rabbi Ellenson. "We want to ensure the future of our Graduate School in Cincinnati and Graduate Studies at HUC-JIR in the context of the Strategic Plan's emphasis for greater excellence, integration amongst our campuses, and financial sustainability."
The Committee will look at how we can better utilize HUC-JIR's broad faculty and scholarly resources and explore potential new areas of concentration upon which to focus its programs.
Members of the Committee include:
- Dr. Arnold Band, Planning Committee Chair and Professor Emeritus of Hebrew at UCLA
- Dr. Rachel Adler, Professor of Jewish Religious Thought and Feminist Studies at HUC-JIR/Los Angeles
- Dr. James Bowley, Associate Professor of Religious Studies at Millsaps College
- Dr. Michael Chernick, Arthur-Dora-Morton Deutsch Professor of Jewish Jurisprudence and Social Justice at HUC-JIR/New York
- Dr. Alan Cooper, Professor of Bible at the Jewish Theological Seminary and Union Theological Seminary
- Dr. Sharon Gillerman, Associate Professor of Jewish History and Director of the Edgar F. Magnin School of Graduate Studies at at HUC-JIR/Los Angeles
- Dr. Peter Haas, Abba Hillel Silver Professor of Jewish Studies Chair, Department of Religious Studies and Director, Samuel Rosenthal Center for Judaic Studies College of Arts and Sciences at Case Western University
- Dr. Adam Kamesar, Professor of Judaeo-Hellenistic Literature and Director of the School of Graduate Studies at HUC-JIR/Cincinnati
- Dr. Michael Meyer, Adolph S. Ochs Professor of Jewish History and chair of HUC Press at HUC-JIR/Cincinnati
- Dr. W.David Nelson, Rosalyn and Manny Rosenthal Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies and Director of the Program in Jewish Studies at Texas Christian University and Brite Divinity School
- Dr. Carol Ochs, Adjunct Professor of Jewish Religious Thought and Director of Graduate Studies at HUC-JIR/New York
- Rev. David Palmer, M.Div., Th.M., graduate student in Bible and History of Interpretation at HUC-JIR's School of Graduate Studies, Cincinnati
- Dr. Richard Sarason, Professor of Rabbinical Literature and Thought and Editor of the HUC Annual
- Dr. Michael Signer, Abrams Professor of Theology at Notre Dame University
- Dr. Hava Tirosh-Samuelson, Professor of History at Arizona State University,Tempe
- Dr. Mark Washofsky, Solomon B. Freehof Professor of Jewish Law and Practice at HUC-JIR/Cincinnati