Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion's Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education recently opened an art exhibit and book display entitled, "From the Children, About the Children, For the Children: Art of the Holocaust." The exhibition exposes viewers to the Holocaust through the eyes of young artists and poets who experienced unspeakable horror and yet were able to let their spirits remain free through artistic expression. The children were able to cope with this historical catastrophe through their artwork and poetry as they affirmed their creative spirit in the face of great adversity.
Made possible through the generosity of The Mills Trust Fund, as administered by the United Way and Community Chest, and the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, the display is broken into thirteen panels which comprise nine distinct emotional or physical states experienced by the child artists. Through this portable exhibit and Teacher Resource Guide, the hope of the Center is to expose students to the creative resistance that took place during the Holocaust through the mediums of word, brush, and instrument.
The Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education is located in Mayerson Hall on the Clifton campus of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, 3101 Clifton Avenue. The mission of the Center is to teach future generations about the Holocaust and its lessons for contemporary society. In fulfilling its mission, the Center's activities will promote Jewish continuity and strengthen intergroup relations, enhancing the quality of life in Cincinnati.
The exhibit, along with a teacher's guide, is available free of charge for loan to schools, community organizations, churches, and synagogues by calling the Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education. In addition, the Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education encourages young people from the tri-state area to contribute original works of poetry, writing, music, and art to a special exhibit entitled, "Today's Children Respond to the Holocaust'," scheduled to open in the summer 2001. For additional information or for exhibit hours, call (513) 221-1875, ext. 355.