History: Rabbinic Period
- Alon, Gedaliah. The Jews in their Land in the Talmudic Age .
Translated by Gershon Levi. Magnes Press: Jerusalem, 1980. Reprint. Cambridge:
Harvard University Press, 1989.
- Avi-Yonah, Michael. The Jews of Palestine: A Political History from
the Bar Kokhba War to the Arab Conquest. Translated by Michael Avi-Yonah.
New York: Schocken Press, 1976. (This edition is based on German edition
Geschichte der Juden im Zeitalter des Talmuds. Berlin: Walter de
Gruyter & Co., 1962. Hebrew editions were published in 1946, 1952, 1962,
- Cohen, Gerson D. "The Talmudic Age." In Great Ages and Ideas
of the Jewish People, edited by Leo W. Schwartz, 141-212. Modern Library:
New York, 1956.
- Baras, Zvi, and Samuel Safrai, Menahem Stern, Yoram Tsafrir., ed. 2 vols.
Jerusalem: Yad Yitzhak ben-Zvi, 1982-1984. Eretz Israel From the
Destruction of the Second Temple to the Muslim Conquest [Hebrew].
Vol. I: Political, Social and Cultural History (ed. by Baras, et. al.);
Vol. II: Archeology and Art (by Yoram Tsafrir)
- Goldin, Judah. "The Period of the Talmud." In The Jews:
Their History, Culture, and Religion I, edited by Louis Finkelstein,
115-215. Philadelphia: JPS, 1949. (Pp. 119-224 in 1970 paperback ed.)
- Schürer, Emil.The History of the Jewish People in the Age of
Jesus Christ. Edited by Geza Vermes, Fergus Miller and Martin Goodman.
Edinburgh: T & T Clark, 1971-1987.
Vol. II: III Halakhah and Haggadah,
and IV The Major Torah Scholars, 337-380.
- Seltzer, Robert M. "From the Hellenistic Period to Late Antiquity."
In Jewish People, Jewish Thought: The Jewish Experience in History,
171-314. New York: Macmillan, 1980.
Return to Table of Contents
©Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institutie
March 3, 1997