The HUC-JIR Library system is home to a wide variety of Haggadot that represent over 600 years of artistic and liturgical creativity.
While some of our facsimile editions or older works are shelved in closed stacks (Rare Book Room or Special collections), many are in the open stacks and available for browsing and check out.
Older works are shelved under BM 675 P4 and newer works under BM 674.6-BM 674.79. Generally, they will be shelved in this order: “traditional” (Hebrew), “traditional” (translations), “non-traditional” (i.e. Conservative, Reconstructionist, Reform, other), and then adaptations for children.
We have an online exhibit of 4 of our illuminated haggadot.Commentaries
The Library also has a selection of commentaries on the haggadah. Search in the catalog under the subject: HAGGADAHWorks on Passover
Selected new items from the collection (call numbers may differ by campus):
- Preparing your heart for Passover : a guide for spiritual readiness / Kerry M. Olitzky. BM 695 P3 O 4.8 2002
- Let my people go : insights to Passover and the Haggadah / Jeffrey M. Cohen. BM 695 P3 C6.4 2002
- The women's Passover companion : women's reflections on the festival of freedom / edited by Sharon Cohen Anisfeld, Tara Mohr, and Catherine Spector. BM 675 P3 Z8.5 2003
- Passover : the family guide to spiritual celebration / Ron Wolfson with Joel Lurie Grishaver. BM 695 P3.5 W6.6 2003
- Creating lively Passover seders : a sourcebook of engaging tales, texts and activities / David Arnow. BM 695 P3.5 A7.6 2004
Search in the catalog under the subject: PASSOVER COOKERY
Samples from the collection (call numbers may differ by campus)
- Passover Gourmet / Nira Rousso. TX 724 R6.6 1987
- Something different for Passover / Zell Schulman. TX 724 S33 1986
- The complete Passover cookbook / by Frances R. AvRutick. TX 724 A97
- The vegetarian Pesach cookbook / Roberta Kalechofsky. TX 739.2 P3.7 K3.5 2002
Search in the catalog under the subjects: PASSOVER MUSIC
Sample recordings from the collection;
- The Passover story / sung by the Western Wind ; narrated by Theodore Bikel.
- A singing seder / Cindy Paley.
- Reggae Passover / Alan Eder and friends.
- The music of Passover and the civil rights movement / Peri Smilow and the Freedom Music Project.
- Celebrate Passover / Craig 'n co.
Pesah / Union of Reform Judaism
This site give basic information about the holiday, materials for families, children, and congregregations.
Commemorating the Exodus / MyJewishLearning.com
This site has articles on many aspects of the holiday.
Passover / at Aish
This site includes descriptions of the seder, Passover laws and traditions, tips for children, and recipes. http://www.aish.com/holidays/passover/
Passover / Kolel, the Adult Centre for Liberal Jewish Learning
Along with descriptions of the seder, Passover laws and traditions, tips for families with young children, this site has reviews of many popular haggadot. http://www.kolel.org/pages/holidays/Pesach_intro.html
While the Library thinks that these sites are useful, their content is not under our control and may express views that are not shared by the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion.
If you have any further questions about finding information on this, or any other topic, ask your local HUC-JIR librarian or email us using the form on a campus library homepage.