"The growth of the Los Angeles
area after World War II made it home to the largest Jewish community
outside New York. To meet the needs of that community, HUC in
1947 established a part-time College of Jewish Studies aimed at
teacher training and adult education.
Motivated by the alumnus Jack Skirball, who had left the pulpit
rabbinate for a very successful career producing motion pictures
and acquiring real estate, the board of governors and President
Nelson Glueck were persuaded to open a pre-rabbinic program at
Wilshire Boulevard Temple in 1954. Two years later, a former home
for asthmatic Jewish girls at 8745 Appian Way, high in the Hollywood
Hills, was purchase to provide the first two years of rabbinic
studies. The student body and the library expanded rapidly, and
the difficulty of access to the site made evident the need for
a move. By 1970, land adjacent to the University of Southern California
had been acquired, and a handsome, functional building was erected
at 3077 University Avenue, primarily with funds raised locally.
It was formally dedicated on November 5, 1971."
(from Reform Judaism in American : a biographical dictionary
and sourcebook / edited by Kerry M. Olitzky, Lance J. Sussman,
and Malcolm H. Stern. Greenwood Press, 1993)
For a timeline
of the LA campus history, click here for the HUC-JIR Chronicle
Projects, centers, and initiatives.
Buildings and facilities
Click on the pictures in the cases below to see a larger image.
Click on any of the photographs to see a larger image.