Lisa D. Grant
Professor of Jewish Education
Dr. Grant is Professor of Jewish Education at Hebrew Union College – Jewish Institute of Religion (New York campus). She holds a BA from the University of Michigan, and MBA in public management from the University of Massachusetts and a Ph.D. in Jewish Education from the Jewish Theological Seminary. Her research and teaching interests focus on adult Jewish learning, the professional development of Jewish leaders and the place of Israel in American Jewish life. She has published widely on these topics in a range of academic journals, books, and teaching guides. She is co-editor of The International Handbook of Jewish Education (Springer: 2011) with Helena Miller and Alex Pomson. She is co-author with Ezra Kopelowitz of Israel Education Matters: A 21st Century Paradigm for Jewish Education (Center for Jewish Peoplehood Education: 2012).
- Ph.D. in Jewish Education, The Jewish Theological Seminary (2000)
- M.B.A. in Public Management, University of Massachusetts, Amherst (1981)
- B.A. in Drama, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (1976)
- Why Israel Matters: The Place of Israel in American Jewish Life
- Israel: One Land, Many Narratives
- Educating for Jewish Citizenship
- The Impact of Adult Jewish Learning in Communities and Congregations
- The Role of Mentoring in Enhancing the Experience of a Congregational Israel Trip
- The Role of rabbi-educators in shaping educational culture
- Adult Bat Mitzvah - An American Rite of Continuity
- Israel Trips for Jewish Educators: Blending the Personal and Professional
- Mother/Daughter Bat Mitzvah Groups - Experiential Family Learning during the Bat Mitzvah Year
- Miller, Helena, Grant, Lisa D., Pomson, Alex, editors. The International Handbook of Jewish Education. Springer (2011).
- Grant, Lisa D. and Schuster, Diane T. "The Landscape of Adult Jewish Education," in Miller, Grant, and Pomson (editors) The International Handbook of Jewish Education. Springer (2011).
- Grant, Lisa D. and Muszkat-Barkan, Michal. "Rabbis as Educators - professional training and identity formation"in Miller, Grant, and Pomson (editors) The International Handbook of Jewish Education. Springer (2011).
- Grant, Lisa D. "Pluralistic Approaches to Israel Education," Journal of Jewish Education. Vol. 77:1 (2011).
- Grant, Lisa D. and Ravid, Shlomi. "Creating a sustainable sense of peoplehood: Towards a pedagogy of commitment." Jewish Educational Leadership, Vol. 9:2 (2011), 4-6.
- Grant, Lisa D. "Bar/Bat Mitsvah" Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception. De Gruyter (2011)
- Grant, Lisa D. "When the Jewish People and Israel Conflict," Peoplehood Papers, Vol. 5, Jerusalem: Peoplehood Hub of the Jewish Agency for Israel (2010).
- Grant, Lisa D. "Mamie Gamoran: Modeling an American Life," in Carol K. Ingall, editor, The Women Who Reconstructed American Jewish Education, 1910-1965. Waltham, MA: Brandeis University Press (2010).
- Grant, Lisa D. "Sacred Vision, Complex Reality: Navigating the Tensions in Israel Education." Jewish Educational Leadership, Vol. 7:1, Fall 2008, 22-27.
- Schuster, Diane T. and Grant, Lisa D. "What We Know about Adult Jewish Learning" in Flexner and Goodman, eds. What We NOW Know About Jewish Education: Perspectives on Research for Practice. A.R.E. Press (2008).
- Grant, Lisa D "Authenticity, Autonomy, and Authority: Feminist Jewish Learning among Post-Soviet Women," The Journal of Jewish Education. Vol. 74, No. 1 (2008)
- Grant, Lisa D. "Jewish Men and Adult Jewish Learning", in The Gender Gap. New York: URJ Press, (2007).
- Grant, Lisa D. T'tazveh - Contemporary Reflection, in the Women's Torah Commentary, New York: URJ Press, (2007).
- Grant, Lisa D. "Why Israel Matters to Me" in Jeffrey Salkin, ed. A Dream of Zion: Americans Reflect on Why Israel Matters. Woodstock, VT: Jewish Lights Publishing. (2007).
- Grant, Lisa D., "Israel Education in Reform Congregational Schools." CCAR Journal (Summer 2007).
- Grant, Lisa D. and Marmur, Michael, "The Place of Israel in the Identity of Reform Jews," in Danny Ben Moshe, editor, Israel, World Jewry, and Identity. London: Sussex Academic Press (2007).
- Grant, Lisa D., "Finding Her Right Place in the Synagogue: The Rite of Adult Bat Mitzvah," in Riv Ellen Prell, editor, Women Remaking American Judaism. Detroit: Wayne State University Press (2007).