Nili S. Fox
Professor of Bible, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
Director, Archaeology Center – Skirball Museum, Cincinnati, Ohio
Co-Director, Tel Dan Excavations – Nelson Glueck School of Biblical Archaeology; Director, School of Graduate Studies
Past Teaching Positions (adjunct)
- B.A. Queens College CUNY – Anthropology (cum laude)
- M.A. Gratz College - Judaic Studies
- M.A. Gratz College - Jewish Education
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania - Biblical & ANE Studies (with distinction)
- Gratz College, 1990; 1998.
- Reconstructionist Rabbinical College, 1990-92; 1995-97.
- University of Pennsylvania, 1992-93; 1998.
Journal Articles and Chapters in Books
- In the Service of the King: Officialdom in Ancient Israel and Judah (Cincinnati: HUC Press, 2000).
- Co-editor (with D. Glatt-Gilad and M. Williams) Mishneh Todah: Studies in Deuteronomy and Its Cultural Environment in Honor of Jeffrey H. Tigay (Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2009).
- "Balfouriya: American Zionist Failure or Secret Success?" American Jewish History 78/4 (1989): 497-512.
- "Clapping Hands as a Gesture of Anger and Anguish in Mesopotamia and in Israel," JANES 23 (1995): 49-60.
- "The Striped Goddess from Gilat: Implications for the Chalcolithic Cult," IEJ 45 (1995): 212-225.
- "Royal Officials and Court Families: A New Look at the yĕlādîm in 1 Kings 12," BA 59/4 (1996): 225-232.
- "Asherah"; "Assyrian Exile"; "Baal"; "Israel, Kingdom of"; "Jachin and Boaz"; "Jehoiada"; "Judah, Kingdom of"; "Manasseh"; "Nehushtan"; "Samaria" in R.J.Z. Werblowsky and G. Wigoder eds., The Oxford Dictionary of the Jewish Religion (New York: Oxford University Press, 1997), 69, 75-76, 92-93, 359, 364, 366, 381-382, 440, 499, 603.
- "Of Rattles and Rituals: An Anthropomorphic Rattle from the Nelson Glueck Collection at the Cincinnati Art Museum," HUCA 70/71 (1999-2000): 5-26 (joint with Angela Roskop).
- "Fantastic Figs in Jeremiah's Baskets and in the Ancient Near East," Proceedings EGL & MWBS 22 (2002): 99-108.
- “Numbers: Introduction and Annotations,” in A. Berlin and M. Brettler eds., The Jewish Study Bible (New York: Oxford University Press, 2003), 281-353.
- "State Officials," in B. Arnold and H.G.M. Williamson eds., Dictionary of the Old Testament, Historical Books (Downers Grove: Inter-Varsity Press, 2005), 941-949.
- "Concepts of God in Israel and the Question of Monotheism," in G. Beckman and T. Lewis eds., Text, Artifact, and Image: Revealing Ancient Israelite Religion (Providence: Brown Judaic Series 346, 2006), 326-345.
- “Numbers, Book of,” in F. Skolnick ed., Encyclopedia Judaica Second Edition (Detroit: Thomson Gale, 2007), 15:330-333.
- “Sh’lach L’cha” and “Balak”; Central Commentaries in T. Eskenazi ed., The Torah: A Women’s Commentary (New York: URJ Press, 2008), 869-885; 937-953.
- “Gender Transformation and Transgression: Contextualizing the Prohibition of Cross-Dressing in Deut 22:5,” in N. Fox, D. Gilad-Glatt and M. Williams eds., Mishneh Todah: Studies in Deuteronomy and Its Cultural Environment in Honor of Jeffrey H. Tigay (Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2009), 49-71.
- “A Bone Carved Calendar?” in Yifat Thareani-Sussely ed., Tel ‛Aroer: An Iron Age II Caravan Town and a Roman Settlement in the Negev. Avraham Biran (1975-1982) and Rudolph Cohen (1975-1976) Excavations (Jerusalem: Annual of the Nelson Glueck School of Biblical Archaeology, in press).
- “Marked for Servitude: Mesopotamia and the Bible” in Grant Frame ed., Tablet and Torah: Mesopotamia and the Biblical World: Conference Proceedings in Honor of Barry Eichler (CDL Press, forthcoming).
I am currently working on the manuscript outlined below.
On the Ancient Catwalk: Studies on Dress and Identity Among Israelites and Their Neighbors
Presentations at Professional Conferences
- Wearing Identity: Theory and Method
- Gendered Dress and Cross-Dressing
- Amulets and Body Ornamentation
- Hairdressing and Shaving Rites
- Body Marking: Tattoos, Brands, and Piercing
- Circumcision and Identity
- Biblical Sanctification of Dress
ASOR – 2005 Annual Meeting
“Gender Transformation: Practices and Prohibitions of Cross-Dressing in Ancient Israel and Neighboring Cultures”
SBL – 2007 Annual Meeting
“Divine Design – Tattooed Images: The Prohibition of Lev 19:28 and Beyond”
U. of Pennsylvania – “Tablet and Torah: Mesopotamia and the Biblical World” (in honor of Dr. Barry Eichler, March 2009 )
“Marked for Servitude: Mesopotamia and the Bible”
U. of Maryland – “Biblical Poetics and Interpretation” (in honor of Adele Berlin, May 2009)
“Biblical Sanctification of Dress”
Sample Presentations & Workshops for HUC-JIR & Other Community Organizations (2002-2009)
Congregation Etz Chaim, Lombard, IL - Scholar-in-Residence wknd, March 2005
"Text Meets Artifact: What the Bible and Archaeology Reveal about Ancient Israelite Religion" (a. Cherubs and Other Creatures in Solomon's Temple?
Temple Israel Brotherhood, Dayton - Brunch Program, March 2005
b. The Desert Tabernacle: An Artistic Inspiration c. Standing Stones and Sacred Trees: Practices and Prohibitions 4. Goddesses, Female Images, and the Role of Women in the Cult)
"Tattooing and Other Bodily Alterations: Prohibitions and Practices from Antiquity to the Present"
Temple Israel Brotherhood, Dayton - Brunch Program, March 2006
“Excavating Tel Dan and Doing Tikkun Olam”
Temple Israel Brotherhood, Dayton - Brunch Program, March 2007
“Dress and Identity in the Biblical World”
URJ Summer Kallah, CalPoly Pomona, Limud Instructor – August 2007
“My God, Your God: Religious Diversity in Ancient Israel”
CCAR HUC, Cincinnati – April 2008
“Archaeology and the Rabbinate”
Rabbinic Kallah, Cincinnati – May 2008
“The Book of Ruth Through an Archaeological Lens”
Temple Beth Or, Dayton – February 2009
“Bible and Archaeology: What Does a Tel Tell?”
Cedar Village, Cincinnati – February 2009
“Our Excavations at Tel Dan”
Cedar Village, Cincinnati – August 2009
“The World of Tutankhamun”