Norman J. Cohen
Dr. Norman J. Cohen serves as Professor of Midrash at the New York campus of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion (HUC-JIR). He served as Provost of HUC-JIR from 1996-2009 and as Dean of the New York campus from 1988-1996. He was ordained by HUC-JIR in 1971 and received his Ph.D. from HUC-JIR in the field of Midrash, which is his area of interest.
- Ordained, HUC-JIR, New York (1971)
- Ph.D., HUC-JIR (1977)
- Midrash: Our Struggles as Parents and Children
- Abraham's Struggles as Father and Husband
- Cain and Abel: The Age-old Problem of Sibling Rivalry
- Reading Genesis as a Human Journey
- Three Abrahamic Traditions: One Interpretive Process
In the News
- Masking and Unmasking Ourselves: Interpreting Biblical texts on Clothing and Identity (order online from Jewish Lights Publishing, Woodstock, VT, 2012).
- Moses and the Journey to Leadership: Timeless Lessons of Effective Management from the Bible and Today's
Leadership (order online
from Jewish Lights Publishing, Woodstock, VT, October 2006).
- Hineini in our Lives (Woodstock, VT: Jewish Lights Publishing, 2003) (order online
from Jewish Lights Publishing)
- The Way into Torah (Woodtock: Jewish Lights Publishing, 2000) (order online from
Jewish Lights Publishing)
- Voices from Genesis: Guiding us through the Stages of ourLife (Woodstock:Jewish Lights Publishing, 1998)
(order online from Jewish
- Self, Struggle and Change: The Family Conflict Stories in Genesis and their Healing Insights for our Lives
(Woodstock: Jewish Lights,1996) (order online from Jewish Lights Publishing)