The Pines School of Graduate Studies (PSGS) in Cincinnati has a long history of excellence in training scholars. It was founded in 1947 by then president Rabbi Nelson Glueck, Ph.D. as an institution of higher learning for students of all faiths. That date was not coincidental. The major centers of Jewish learning in Germany and elsewhere in Europe had been destroyed by WWII and the Holocaust. It would no longer be possible to import scholars from Europe, as had been the custom in the past. Scholars would need to be trained in America. At the same time, advances in scholarship of the Hebrew Bible and the appreciation of the importance of Jewish sources in the study of the New Testament led to a new reality in the non-Jewish scholarly community. HUC's response was to found a graduate school in order to promote academic Jewish studies in an interfaith American context. Over the past six decades more than 500 M.A., Ph.D., and D.H.L. degrees have been conferred here. Now in the 21st century, the PSGS continues that proud tradition.
Nancy Erickson, Ph.D., 2016-present
John Kampen, Ph.D., 2014-2016
Jeff Cooley, Ph.D., 2013-2014
Andrew Riley, Ph.D., 2012-13
Karla Suomala, Ph.D., 2008-2012
James Bowley, Ph.D., 2004-2008
Wave Nunnally, Ph.D., 1999-2003