Welcome to the School of Jewish Nonprofit Management Alumni Association!
This is an exciting time to be an alumnus of the School of Jewish Nonprofit Management (or, as many of us fondly remember it, the School of Jewish Communal Service)! Our Alumni Association has been working hard to build and develop new leadership in an effort to better serve our 600 colleagues and friends who work in Jewish organizations across North America, as well as in Europe, South America, South Africa, Australia, and Israel.
We have alumni working groups, comprised of graduates from throughout the SJCS’ history focusing on the following areas:
- Alumni Campaign: The SJNM is charged with fundraising for all of the student scholarships it provides, requiring about $150,000 annually. This group of dedicated alumni works hard to reach out to colleagues and secure a portion of the funds needed to attract the best and brightest students to our program.
- Professional Development: Providing professional development and learning opportunities to such a diverse group of alumni is no small feat! This team is committed to finding the best and most interesting ways to engage our alumni and share current trends and skills in the field of Jewish organizational leadership.
- Recruitment: In addition to strategizing about how to expand our reach and help alumni identify new prospects, recent graduates are paired with applicants to help guide them through the admissions process and learn first hand what it’s like to be a student at the SJNM.
- Student Outreach: Connecting with students, who in just a short time will be the next generation of our colleagues and alumni association members, is an important part of the work we do. This includes offering opportunities for students on the brink of graduation to connect with our alumni, who can help them network and transition into the working world; alumni participation in both the culmination and graduation festivities, and other campus events.
- Communication: As our alumni community expands and evolves, how we connect and communicate with each other becomes increasingly diverse. In addition to a semi-annual e-newsletter, we also have a strong presence online, through the SJNM webpage, these alumni pages and various social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter and Linked In. Alumni play a critical role in sharing our message with other alumni, students, supporters and the broader community.
- Alumni Council: We are also proud to be represented on the HUC-JIR Alumni Council, comprised of alumni leaders from all six of the major programs run by the College-Institute. This is an opportunity for our alumni to learn more about what is happening throughout the institution and explore opportunities for increased partnership, and also a chance for us to share our expertise and experience as Jewish organizational leaders with alumni from other programs.
On behalf of the School of Jewish Nonprofit Management and the alumni whom we are honored to represent and serve, we invite you to learn more about the work we do and get involved!
Andi Milens (left) and Stephanie Steingold Bressler (right)
The mission of the Alumni Association of the School of Jewish Nonprofit Management (formerly the School of Jewish Communal Service) is to engage alumni to meet the following objectives:
Who we are
- To support the School through the Alumni Fundraising Campaign and recruitment of potential students.
- To advocate for the School and the field of Jewish Communal Service by serving as ambassadors within the College-Institute and the greater Jewish community.
- To connect alumni to each other, to the school, to students and to the College-Institute.
SJNM’s more than 600 alumni have served and continue to serve as distinguished professional leaders in an array of Jewish communal institutions and agencies throughout the world, including Federations, Hillels, Jewish Family Services, BJE’s, JCC’s, foundations, museums, synagogues, camps, day schools, the URJ, Hebrew Union College, AIPAC, JCRC’s, the American Jewish Committee, ADL, JCPA, Jewish World Watch, Brandeis-Bardin Institute, JNF, Birthright Israel, Beit Teshuvah, Jewish Free Loans, Jewish Big Brothers, Beit Tzedek and a variety of Israeli and international organizations. We are administrators and educators, advocates and social workers, program directors and grantmakers. Our presence is felt across the Jewish community and our impact is enduring.
SJNM Alumni Association Executive Committee (2012-13)
Andi Milens (MAJCS/MPA, 1995)
Stephanie Steingold Bressler (MAJCS/MPA, 2007)
Immediate Past Chair
Esther Cohen (MAJCS/MPA, 2004)
Alumni Council Representatives
Alan Ronkin (MAJCS/MPA, 1991)
Shaina Wasserman (MAJCS/MAJE, 2006)
Recruitment Working Group Co-Chairs
Bailey London (MAJCS/MSW 2007)
Rachel Slaton (MAJNM/MPA, 2011)
Professional Development Working Group Co-Chairs
Marsha Rothpan (MAJCS/MSW, 1994)
Paula Simon (MAJCS/MSW, 1979)
Alumni Campaign Co-Chairs
Naomi Abelson (MAJCS/MPA, 2007)
Daniel Blain (MAJCS/MSW, 1989)
Anna Schwarz Shabtay (MAJCS/MPA, 2009)
Richard Siegel, Director of the SJNM
Mandi Richardson (MAJCS/MSW, 1997), Associate Director of the SJNM
Joy Wasserman (MAJE 1981), HUC-JIR National Director of Alumni Engagement
Jessica Ingram, Coordinator, SJNM Alumni Association (MAJCS, 2009/MARE, 2010)