To improve your candidacy for any of HUC-JIR’s graduate programs, we suggest you familiarize yourself with these books and other sources on Jewish life in America.
Bible and Jewish Texts
- Friedman, R.E. Who Wrote the Bible? (San Francisco, CA: Harper Publishing; 1997.)
- Holtz, Barry. Back to the Sources. (New York, NY; Simon and Schuster; 1986.)
- Steinsaltz, Adin. Essential Talmud. (New York: Basic Books, 1979.)
- The TaNaKh (The Hebrew Bible) (PA: The Jewish Publication Society)
- Torah: A Women’s Commentary by Eskenazi, Tamara and Weiss, Andrea.
- Borowitz, Eugene. Liberal Judaism (NY: URJ Press, 1984)
- Borowitz, Eugene B. Reform Judaism Today, 2nd Ed. (New York: Behrman House, 1995.)
- Goldstein, Niles E. and Knoble, Peter S., Duties of the Soul: The Role of Commandments in Liberal Judaism. (New York: UAHC Press: 1999)
- Levy, Richard N., A Vision of Holiness: The Future of Reform Judaism. (New York: URJ Press, 2005)
- Meyer, Michael A. and Plaut, W. Gunther. The Reform Judaism Reader. (New York, UAHC Press, 2001.)
- Washofsky, Mark. Jewish Living: A Guide to Contemporary Reform Practice. (New York: UAHC Press, 2000.)
Jewish Thought, Practice and History
- Bloom, Jack. The Rabbi As Symbolic Exemplar: By the Power Vested in Me. (Binghamton, NY; Haworth 2003).
- Cohen, Steven and Eisen Arnie. The Jew Within. (Bloomington, IN; Indiana University Press; 2000.)
- Hertzberg, Arthur. The Zionist Idea. (New York: JPS, 1959.)
- Heschel, Abraham Joshua. The Sabbath. (New York : Noonday Press, 1996, c1979.)
- Hoffman, Larry. The Art of Public Prayer, Rethinking Synagogues and the Journey Home. (VT: Long Hill Partners, 2nd ed., 2009)
- Jacobs, Jill Cohen. Where Justice Dwells (VT: Jewish Lights Publishing, 2011)
- Mendes-Flohr, Paul R. and Reinharz, Jehuda. The Jew in the Modern World. (New York: Oxford University Press, 1980.)
- Steinberg, Milton. As a Driven Leaf. (New Jersey: Behrman House, c1996.)
- Strassfeld, Michael. The Jewish Holidays. (New York: Harper and Row Publishers, 1985.)
- “Way Into” series, (Jewish Lights), especially as edited by Cohen, Norman; Kushner, Larry; Hoffman, Larry
- Wolfson, Ron. Relational Judaism (VT: Jewish Lights Publishing, 2013)
- Berger, Ron. An Ethic of Excellence (NH: Heinemann, 2003)
- Bolman and Deal, Reframing Organizations, 4th ed., (CA:, Jossey-Bass, 2008)
- Palmer Parker J. The Courage to Teach (CA: Jossey-Bass, 2007)
- Ritchhart, Mark; Church, Mark; Morrison, Karin. Making Thinking Visible (CA: Jossey-Bass, 2011)
- Charney, Ruth Sidney. Teaching Children to Care (MA: Center for Responsive Schools, 2015)
- Resnick, Mitchel. Lifelong Kindergarten: Cultivating Creativity through Projects, Passion, Peers and Play (MA: The MIT Press, 2017).