Resources and Distance Learning
Ulpanim in Israel
Programs in the US
Useful Preparation Texts
Two texts that are useful in preparing for the Hebrew Proficiency Exam are:
- Ulpan Or (in Jerusalem). http://www.ulpanor.com
- Ulpan Gordon in Tel Aviv
- Hebrew University in Jerusalem
- Ulpan Israeli http://www.ulpanisraeli.com/
- HUC-JIR's Pre-Ulpan Hebrew Learning Program on the Jerusalem campus (Only for admitted HUC-JIR students)
- Ivrit Min Ha-hatchala, volumes Aleph and Bet, by Shlomit Chayat, Sara Israeli, and Hilla Kobliner. Publisher: Academon, the Hebrew University Studentsí Printing and Publishing House: Jerusalem. (Note that this title is translated into English as: Hebrew from Scratch.). Ivrit Min Ha-hatchala is published in Israel. It is available from several on-line booksellers whom you can identify by doing a search under the title. It can also be ordered from West Side Judaica, 2412 Broadway, New York, NY 10024, (212-362-7846) or from Sefer Israel, 28 West 27th Street, Rm 402, New York, NY 10001, (212-725-5890).
- Hayesod: Fundamentals of Hebrew, New Edition by Luba Uveeler. Publisher: Feldheim Publishing. Hayesod is more readily available in college and general bookstores or can be ordered through Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com or other on-line booksellers.
A student who has completed both volumes of Ivrit Min Ha-hatchala will be more than well prepared for the Hebrew Proficiency Exam. The grammar tested in the exam draws on sections of both volumes; however, the vocabulary required for the exam draws primarily from the first volume. This text is a worthwhile addition to your library, as you will refer to it throughout your Hebrew language studies at HUC-JIR. The second text, Hayesod, is also useful in preparing for the exam. It is however, less useful for vocabulary than for grammar preparation.