An Eternal People: The Jewish Experience
An Eternal People educates and enlightens, tugs at the heart and awakens conscience as it explores the cultural heritage of the Jewish People. The core exhibit presents over 300 fascinating artifacts - artwork, textiles, decorative arts, jewelry, memorabilia and Near Eastern Antiquities - beautifully reliving and reflecting significant periods of the Jewish experience. The museum's permanent exhibit comprises seven thematic galleries that portray the cultural, historical and religious heritage of the Jewish people:
- Immigration - Survey the history of the arrival of Jewish immigrants and their contribution to American culture and society. Learn about prominent figures as Albert Einstein, Emma Lazarus, Irving Berlin and Elie Wiesel.
- The American Experience - Welcome to Cincinnati, Ohio, an early settlement for Jews and a microcosm of American Jewish life. Enter the life of Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise, father of American Reform Judaism and the founder of Hebrew Union College.
- Archaeology - Explore the life of Israelites from Early to Late Antiquity through artifacts uncovered at sites in Israel that focus on the life, death, and religion of everyday people. The exhibition includes a storage jar from the caves where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered.
- Torah - Encounter a beautiful Torah Scroll that survived the rise and fall of Nazi Germany. This section illuminates the importance the scroll has held for ancient and modern Judaism.
- Jewish Festivals and Life Cycles - Discover the objects of Jewish celebrations and rituals. Illustrative artifacts relate the importance of the lunar calendar, festivals, and the Sabbath. Events such as coming of age, and marriage, are emphasized to enhance the understanding of what it means to be Jewish in the modern world.
- The Holocaust - Bear witness to the atrocities of the Holocaust through art, artifacts, and a remembrance wall dedicated to the six million Jews lost in the Shoah. Be inspired by the courage of the human spirit in the face of great evil.
- Israel - Celebrate the lives of Jews who are émigrés to Israel. Experience the rich diversity of Israel through art, music, theatre and language. An artistic overview that reveals the spirit of the land, its people and its culture.