The Kalsman Institute is a center for training, collaboration and dialogue on healthcare, healing and spirituality at the intersection of Judaism and health.
The Kalsman Institute on Judaism and Health is a department of the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. We unite spiritual leaders, healthcare providers and Jewish community members.
To Fulfill our Mission, the Kalsman Institute:
- Promotes awareness of issues related to illness and wellness within the Jewish community through seminars, conferences and publications.
- Trains students and alumni of HUC-JIR in hospital chaplaincy and pastoral care.
- Fosters the development of bikur cholim communities within congregations in conjunction with the Union for Reform Judaism.
- Offers a forum for discussing the relationship between classical Jewish perspectives and contemporary health issues.
- Convenes members of the medical profession and the healing community to bridge theory and clinical work.
- Furthers dialogue on Jewish bioethics, public policy and personal care.