Los Angeles


In all of its full-time professional programs, Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion (HUC) offers generous financial assistance - in the form of grants and loans to students with demonstrated financial need as determined by Financial Aid Office. 
Institutional Need Based Tuition Grants are scholarships that do not need to be repaid and are provided directly to the student from the HUC's own resources. All grants and scholarships are based on the student's assessed financial need. In addition, Federal Stafford Loans will also be awarded to students based on the same materials received in the financial aid office by the deadline. 
To be eligible for an HUC tuition grant, a student must demonstrate more then than $5,000 in financial need based on the information in the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile Form. Approximately 90% of students receive tuition grants. 
The deadline is May 8, 2015 to submit the required materials listed below to the Financial Aid Office for the 15-16 academic year. (with the exception of the Cantorial Certification Program.)
*Please note that scholarships, grants and financial aid loans will be awarded on a first come first served basis. The earlier you apply, the earlier you will receive notification of your financial aid package for the upcoming year. Award letters will go out on a rolling basis starting in the late spring.

How to apply (US or Eligible Citizens):

  1. All new and returning students must fill out a FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov and use the school code: G04054
    (Please complete your tax return or have your tax W2's before filling out the FAFSA so the data is correct.) After completing the FAFSA it will be sent automatically to the Financial Aid Office.  
2. Copy of your Driver's license or passport if this is your first time applying for financial aid.

How to apply (International Students) 

  1. Fill out the CSS Profile on line (there is a small fee involved with this application). Go to http://www.collegeboard.org/ 
    1. Click on the "For Students" button
    2. On the next page go to "Pay for College" (green button) 
    3. Go to"Profile on Line" under tools (last option)
    4. Go to "Profile 14-15" (green button). 

      Before starting the profile be sure you have picked the right code for the college you will be attending in 14-15. The codes are listed below and available on the CSS website under "List of Colleges, Universities, and Scholarships." After the Profile is completed, it will be sent to the Financial Aid Office automatically.
      1305 Hebrew Union College - JIR (CN and JER) (Cincinnati and Year in Israel Students)
      1344 Hebrew Union College -JIR (CA)
      2290 Hebrew Union College - JIR (NY)

  2. Copy of your Driver's license or passport if this is your first time applying for financial aid.
  3. The CSS Profile doesn’t allow you to bypass the parent information of the Profile. Please put all zeros on the application for the parent information as we don’t require parent information in our calculations.
Please note that International Students are not eligible for government loans but are eligible for some private alternative loans that are available through some lenders in the US. If you are interested in learning more about these types of loans please inquire with the Financial Aid Office.
Return all materials to by mail, email or fax to:
Roseanne Ackerley
Director of Financial Aid 
Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion
One West 4th Street
New York, NY 10012 
Fax - 212-388-1720; Email - financialaid@huc.edu
Students also offset the cost of their HUC education through the earnings they receive in internships, pulpit positions, and other professional development opportunities that are a part of the curriculum. In addition, each campus offers a small number of "named" scholarships, based on merit and financial need. These are typically awarded by the deans and program directors on each campus. All students are considered for such scholarships based on communication among the admissions office, the financial aid office, and the deans and program directors.

Cost of Attendance


New Stafford Loan Borrowers

If you are new to HUC-JIR or you have decided to take out Federal Financial Aid Stafford Loans for the first time, here is some additional information you will need in order to apply for a Stafford or Grad Plus loan:
    Entrance Interviews - All students borrowing from the Stafford Loan Program for the first time at HUC-JIR must complete an entrance interview before any funds will be disbursed for the student. Entrance Interviews are to be completed on line by going to this website and choosing the Los Angeles campus: http://mappingyourfuture.org/sge
    Instructions below to sign up for Direct Loans (Subsidized, Unsubsidized and Grad Plus Loans)
    1. Go to www.studentloans.gov
    2. Click on the green "sign in button" 
    3. Keep in mind you will need your FAFSA pin to be able to sign on the system.
    4. You will then see "Plus Application Request Form" and if you are interested in taking out a Grad Plus loan please fill out the application. If not skip it.
    5. Click on "Master Promissory Note" - in this step you will see the option to click which loans you want to apply for (Subsidized, Unsubsidized and Grad Plus) keep in mind that this information will go to me and so I will see that you only want one of the three kinds of loans or all three.
    6. For "School Information" - The School code is G04054 for all campuses.
    7. Fill out personal references - you must use two different references that have different addresses and phone numbers from the borrower and each other.
    8. Review all Terms and Conditions.
    9. Review and esign Promissory Note (keep in mind that the name needs to appear in the signature exactly how it is when it populates using the pin number)
If you have successfully finished the process you will receive a pop up window. Please call 800-557-7394 if you need help with this or have any additional questions with signing up for your loans.

Important Dates for Financial Aid

Los Angeles Campus 2014:
  • June 6th - Entrance Interviews to be completed by new Non-Profit Management Students   
  • April 28th - Exit Interviews to be completed by graduating students  
  • May 9th - Submission deadline for financial materials for returning students  
  • August 1st - Entrance Interviews to be completed by new loan borrowers   
Los Angeles Campus Student Loan Disbursements 2014-2015:
  • June 24th - Non-Profit Management, and DeLet Summer Session    
  • Sept. 4th - All Programs Fall Semester  
  • Sept. 11th - DeLeT Program 
  • Jan 20th - All Programs Spring Semester 

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal guidelines mandate that all institutions offering Title IV funds have a Standard of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). The following information defines HUC-JIR's minimum standards for SAP to maintain eligibility for all types of financial aid, including Federal (Title IV), State and institutional (HUC-JIR) funding.


Outside Scholarship Opportunities

Here is a list of Outside Scholarships to apply to in addition to HUC-JIR Scholarships and loans:
School of Graduate Studies, Cincinnati
The School of Graduate Studies grants two kinds of financial aid: scholarships, which defray the cost of tuition, and fellowships, which include tuition plus an additional cash stipend. All awards are based on merit. It is generally expected that students who receive financial support will continue to do so throughout their period of eligibility (normally four to five years). In addition to scholarship and fellowship support, the College-Institute offers many opportunities for student employment, including teaching assistantships, library and clerical work, and research assistantships. Students may also be eligible for Federal Stafford Loans. 

Consortium Agreements

A Consortium Agreement will allow a student to use some of their federal student aid (Stafford, Unsubsidized Stafford, and PLUS loans,) at another approved school or program. Federal regulations allow only one institution, the "home institution" to award federal financial aid. As the "home institution," HUC can recommend these forms of aid when its students study elsewhere, and obtain permission in advance to transfer courses to the HUC degree program. Academic progress standards for HUC do not change during the period of agreement. HUC will maintain all records related to the student's aid. Awards are based on the actual cost of tuition and fees at the Consortium School and HUC's cost of attendance for the appropriate program. 
This form may be used for courses to be taken elsewhere, provided you have the form completed by the Consortium School/Program. As with most forms of aid, you also file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) .
  1. Complete Section A of Agreement. Be sure to sign.
  2. Obtain signature from advisor stating that permission has been granted and credits will transfer as equivalent to HUC credit. Grades achieved at a visiting school will not necessarily be averaged in the student's HUC GPA.
  3. Have Consortium School complete Section B of Agreement and return to:
Hebrew Union College, Office of Financial Aid
1 West 4th Street, 
New York, NY 10012 
or fax to (212) 358-7752