We are looking for highly qualified applicants for all of our programs. HUC-JIR’s student body is diverse and there is no “correct path” to becoming a strong candidate. Each applicant is viewed as a unique individual. For example, a degree in Jewish studies is not required but it is important to have some background with liberal arts classes where reading and writing are emphasized.
The Executive M.A. Program in Jewish Education does not require any admissions exams such as the GRE or the Miller Analogies Test. Below are the prerequisites for admission to the program along with a brief description of the application requirements and admissions process.
You must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Currently employed by a Jewish educational institution in North America.
- A BA or BS degree from an accredited college or university.
- An academic record reflecting the ability to do graduate work at a 3.0 grade point average or above on a four-point scale.
- The completion of one year of college-level Hebrew or the equivalent. If necessary, this requirement can be met after matriculating, but prior to graduation.
- A readiness for graduate study, including the capacity to meet the intellectual, ethical, and emotional demands of graduate school.
- A serious commitment to academic study and the capacity to develop self-awareness.
- An ability to engage in abstract reasoning, to think analytically and conceptually, and to formulate mature judgments.
- An aptitude for clear oral and written self-expression.
- Current policy states that applicants who are married to or in committed relationships with non-Jews will not be considered for acceptance to this program.
- The ability to think critically and reflectively.
Additional Requirements for Eligibility
- Register for XED500 Introduction for Jewish Educational Leadership course: Following your preliminary interview with Lesley Litman and the filing of Part 1 of your admissions application, you will need to register for XED500 by filling out the registration form and sending it with a check made out to HUC-JIR in the amount of $300 to Office of the National Registrar, HUC-JIR, 3101 Clifton Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45220-2488
- Successful completion of the seven week online Introduction to Jewish Educational Leadership course that takes place from the third week in January through the first week in March. The goal of the course is to give you the opportunity to try out the online environment and time commitment of the program before going through the application process. There is a $300 fee for this course.